The technology behind Combined Heat and Power (CHP) is simple: instead of sourcing electricity from the local utility and creating hot water or steam with traditional boilers, a CHP system performs both functions with one machine using low cost, plentiful natural gas.
An engine, like those found in automobiles, burns natural gas and uses the force created by combustion to spin a generator (instead of wheels). During combustion, waste heat is captured from the engine and fed into the building to offset hot water creation normally performed by the boilers.
BENEFITS YOU CAN EXPECT FROM CHP
- Proven Technology: CHP was first commercialized in the late 1970s and has been the leader of distributed generation (localized power creation) ever since. Although less visible than other technologies like photovoltaic solar, over 70,000 megawatts of CHP provide power to commercial and industrial facilities across the US.
- Reliable Power: extreme weather events and grid outages have become increasingly more routine, while the need to reinforce critical infrastructure has never been greater. In addition to cost reduction, many CHP technologies also include “blackstart capability,” which allows for grid-independent operation when you need it most.
- Sustainable: never before has it been as critical to make full use of carbon-based fuels to minimize consumption and emissions. CHP makes ultra-efficient use of the fuel by capturing both useful byproducts of combustion: mechanical energy to turn the generator and thermal energy to heat your facility. CO2 emissions fall by 40% for each unit of energy created.
- Lower Utility Bills: although energy costs seem to defy gravity, you have the power to stop the trend. Under optimal conditions, CHP plant operation translates into 20% to 30% operating cost reduction on your annual energy spend. Now who’s the boss?
- Worry-Free Ownership: the TitanGen Power Purchase Agreement makes it easy for your business to enjoy the benefits of CHP without the typical barriers to entry: upfront capital expense, on-going maintenance and system performance optimization. Simply pay for the power you use; we’ll cover the rest.
- Fully Integrated: CHP is just the beginning, as TitanGen customers enjoy the advantage of a direct relationship with our parent company, Titan Energy, a fully-integrated provider of conservation, renewables and procurement services throughout North America.